Globetrotters Guide: The Ultimate Travel Skincare Routine
Traveling can be an exhilarating experience, offering the chance to explore new cultures, landscapes, and cuisines. However, amidst all the excitement, it's essential not to neglect your skin. Frequent flying, exposure to different climates, and the use of unfamiliar water can wreak havoc on your skin. To ensure your skin remains healthy and radiant during your adventures, we've curated a list of travel friendly skincare tips that will keep your glow on the go.
How Traveling Affects Your Skin
As fun and exciting traveling can be, it can also affect your skin negatively if you’re not careful. Preparing for your journey should always include a solid travel skincare strategy. Air travel's low humidity can leave your skin feeling dry, and environmental factors like pollution can clog pores and trigger irritation. Travel-related stress, disrupted sleep patterns, and dietary changes can also contribute to skin issues. Changes in climate can lead to dehydration or increased oiliness, while increased sun exposure can potentially damage skin. Although this sounds like a lot for your skin to handle, fear not, there are ways to optimize your regimen and maintain your glow on the go. We looked to the IMAGE Skincare pros for the ideal travel skincare routine and tips to do exactly that.
Travel Skincare Tips
While making your final skincare edit, there are several things to consider: climate, recovery and agenda. Skincare products that work well in one part of the world may not be suitable in another. Further, it’s beneficial to give your skin a little pampering to de-stress while on the go. Last, the activities you have planned, whether beachbound or attending a board meeting, will all impact your travel skincare strategy.
- Prep for Extreme Temps: Whether hot or cold, extreme temps can stress your skin. In cold climates, you'll need products that provide extra nourishment and protection against wind and low humidity. Conversely, lightweight products are better suited for hot climates. If you’re traveling to an exotic locale, the sunscreen options may not be as plentiful as what we have here in the USA, so tote your own SPF accordingly. Check out our esthetician’s tips for product recs for every climate.
- Sunscreen is Non-Negotiable: Whether you’re city side or cabana bound, sun protection is an everyday, everywhere, indoor and outdoor must. Harmful UV rays can damage your skin even on cloudy days, causing overexposure and potential premature aging. To shield your skin from the sun's harmful effects, choose one of IMAGE’s many broad-spectrum sunscreens with at least SPF 30. No matter what your skin type, tone, or preference, when it comes to sunscreen we have you covered.
- Versatile Moisturizer is a Must: Whatever your destination, keeping your skin hydrated is essential. Our VITAL HYDRATION 3-step Vitamin C Routine is the ideal moisturization travel pack, featuring our bestselling serum, cleanser and moisturizer in travel friendly skincare sizes. Featuring discovery sizes of our bestselling serum, cleanser and repair crème, the travel-ready skincare pack adapts to any environment. Bonus? It includes a handy, TSA-approved clear pouch.
- Indulge in Skin Mist: Long flights or spending time outdoors can leave your skin feeling dull and fatigued. Enter the skin mist—the travel skincare ally. Our pros recommend the VITAL C hydrating facial mist, which moisturizes on-demand, leaving skin with a velvety soft, dewy finish. It primes the skin before makeup, locks in hydration and gives tired skin an instant pick-me-up anytime, anywhere.
- Focus on Eye Cream: The delicate skin around your eyes is susceptible to puffiness and dark circles, especially after long flights and jet lag. Incorporating eye cream into your travel skincare routine with ingredients like caffeine or peptides can help reduce puffiness and restore brightness, ensuring you look well-rested and refreshed throughout your journey. the MAX™ eye crème is infused with targeted peptides and plant cell extracts to smooth the look of lines and restore a bright, well-rested appearance to travel-weary eyes.
- Indulge in Sheet Masks: Make the most of your in-flight time by pampering your skin with sheet masks. These travel size skincare masks deliver a concentrated dose of nutrients and moisture, effectively combating the drying effects of cabin air. For an on-the-go indulgence, sheet masks are easy, convenient, and take up little room in your carryon.
- Pamper Your Pout: An IMAGE cult-favorite and skincare travel necessity—the ORMEDIC balancing lip enhancement complex naturally plumps and protects thanks to its nourishing properties. It helps to restore the natural moisture balance of the lips, preventing dryness and chapping, which can be exacerbated during travel. The travel friendly size makes it convenient to carry in your purse or pocket, providing easy access for on-the-go applications.
- Prioritize Rest: One of the most significant factors in achieving travel optimized skin is getting enough sleep and rest. Adequate sleep allows your skin to repair and regenerate, leaving you with a radiant complexion throughout your journey. Aim for at least seven to eight hours of sleep each night, even amidst your exciting adventures.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ: How do I pack skincare for travel?
Answer: Hone your travel skincare packing list down to the essentials: cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, and serum. If you must take more, opt for multi-functional products, like our PREVENTION+ daily perfecting primer SPF 50. The tinted moisturizer combines sunscreen, primer and sheer foundation in one. Make sure your skincare containers comply with TSA-approved sizing (3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters). Whenever possible, use sample size versions of your essentials, such as our Five star favorites. Always pack your skincare in your carry-on luggage, as checked luggage can get delayed or (heaven forbid) lost.
FAQ: What are travel approved sizes for skincare?
Answer: According to the TSA, each passenger is limited to one quart-size bag of liquids, gels and aerosols. You can carry these products in travel-size containers that are 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters.
FAQ: What skincare should I use in extremely dry climates?
Answer: In extremely dry climates, opt for nourishing moisturizers that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or ceramides to lock in moisture and prevent water loss. Our pros recommend the IMAGE MD® restoring power-C serum with hyaluronic acid to bring renewed hydration to the skin, supporting a plump, smooth and firm appearance. A rich crème, like the ORMEDIC balancing biopeptide crème will provide extra nourishment for day and night. As always, wear broad spectrum SPF 30 daily to safeguard your skin from sun exposure in dry climates. Don’t forget the body. Our BODY SPA rejuvenating body lotion features glycolic acid to smooth, soften and resurface dry, rough skin from the neck down.
FAQ: Is it bad to change my skincare routine while traveling?
Answer: To ensure your skin stays healthy while traveling, it's best to bring your tried-and-true skincare essentials with you. Avoid introducing new products during this time of potential stress for your skin. Bringing sample-size versions of your must-haves is better than transferring your oils and serums into plastic containers, as most skincare products require specific storage conditions to maintain their effectiveness.
FAQ: What can I do about breakouts caused by travel-related stress?
Answer: Travel stress can trigger breakouts. Carry a spot treatment with salicylic acid like our CLEAR CELL clarifying acne spot treatment to target individual blemishes. Stick to your consistent skincare routine and avoid touching your face as much as possible.
As you venture out into the world, it’s important to take your skincare diligence with you. Make sure your packing list includes a moisturizer, sunscreen, serum and eye cream—in TSA-approved sizes. Opt for multi-use products to keep your light load light—but don’t deny your skin a little indulgence, such as a refreshing facial mist or sheet mask. Prioritize restful sleep to ensure your skin remains travel-ready and radiant throughout your journey. Embrace these travel skincare tips, and may your adventures be accompanied by a happy and healthy complexion.