Mixing Sunscreen with Foundation: Pros Reveal Everything You Need to Know
In the world of skincare, the quest for a glowing complexion often involves finding the perfect combination of products. One question that often arises is the efficacy of mixing sunscreen with foundation. Is it better to layer foundation over sunscreen? Mix both together to create our own concoction? Or opt for one product that combines the benefits of both? We looked to our pros for expert guidance on this topic. In this blog, we will explore the pros and cons, best practices and recommended products that mix sunscreen with foundation, while keeping your skin's health and radiance at the forefront.
Table of Contents
- SUNSCREEN VERSUS FOUNDATION
- PROS & CONS OF MIXING SUNSCREEN WITH FOUNDATION
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FOUNDATION WITH SUN PROTECTION
- THE PERFECT BALANCE OF SUNSCREEN AND FOUNDATION
- ESTHETICIAN’S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A SAFE, SUN-KISSED GLOW
Before delving into the world of mixing these two skincare staples, let's briefly discuss their individual roles. Sunscreen protects your skin from harmful UV rays, acting as a barrier, shielding your skin from the sun's damaging rays. For these reasons, sunscreen is a non-negotiable step in every skincare routine.
Foundation is makeup designed to even out skin tone and provide a smooth base for additional cosmetics. While some foundations contain a minimal amount of SPF, it's not enough to shield your skin adequately from the sun's UVA and UVB rays.
Ideally, a combination of sunscreen and foundation would provide the best defense for your skin, indoors or out, 365-days a year.
PROS & CONS OF MIXING SUNSCREEN WITH FOUNDATION
One of the key benefits of mixing sunscreen with foundation is enhanced sun protection. By combining these two products, you're creating an additional layer of defense against harmful UV rays. This can be particularly useful on days when you may forget to apply sunscreen separately.
Additionally, mixing sunscreen with foundation can help streamline your skincare process. The combination of both products delivers glowing skin without compromising sun protection.
Last, mixing sunscreen with foundation can lead to a smoother application of your makeup. The combined product may offer better adherence to your skin, resulting in a more even and flawless finish.
While mixing sunscreen with foundation can offer some benefits, it's important to note that altering the formula of your sunscreen might affect its efficacy. Sunscreen products undergo rigorous testing to ensure they provide the labeled level of protection. Mixing sunscreen with other products could potentially dilute its effectiveness.
DIY sunscreen and foundation mixing may also lead to uneven application. This could result in areas of your skin receiving less sun protection than others, compromising your overall defense against UV radiation.
Finally, those with sensitive skin may react negatively to the combination of sunscreen and foundation. It's crucial to be mindful of potential allergic reactions or skin irritations that could arise from mixing these products.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FOUNDATION WITH SUN PROTECTION
Additionally, a lightweight foundation that doesn’t cake onto your skin is crucial. Lightweight foundations with or without SPF can be combined with a moisturizer to help reduce the damage from natural sun and blue light pollution.
Finally, just like you would while looking for a regular sunscreen, make sure your foundation with SPF covers both UVA and UVB rays. Look for the term “broad spectrum.”
Try to go with the highest SPF rating you can find. Since sunscreen is not additive, combining a SPF 15 moisturizer with a SPF 30 foundation will not give SPF 45 level protection. Additionally, look for a broad-spectrum SPF that protects from both UVB and UVA damage.
This level of protection is not only ideal when you’re outdoors in the sun, or indoors sitting near a window, but can also help reduce the effects from blue light on mobile devices, computers, tablets, and other electronics.
THE PERFECT BALANCE OF SUNSCREEN AND FOUNDATION
Here at IMAGE, we consider sun protection to be a non-negotiable step in every skincare routine. So, we developed our PREVENTION+ line to suit all skin types, conditions, tones and preferences. Whether you seek hydration, oil control, maximum sun protection, or a multi-tasking serum solution, our collection caters to all preferences with the added benefit of tinted coverage.
For a sun-kissed glow without the fuss of makeup, our PREVENTION+ Daily Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 is the perfect pick. This tinted sunscreen offers sun protection and a hint of color for a natural, even-toned look. It's perfect for those days when you want a fresh, no-makeup makeup appearance while keeping your skin safe from UV damage. Ideal for travel, we also offer a carryon-approved version: the Discovery-size PREVENTION+® daily matte moisturizer SPF 30.
For those seeking the skin-loving benefits of a serum plus sheer, natural coverage, our PREVENTION+® sun serum SPF 30 tinted ensures your skin receives nourishment, hydration, and powerful defense against the sun's harmful rays. This mineral sunscreen is subtly tinted delivering a lightweight, dewy glow with broad-spectrum UV protection.
Don't overlook your lips when it comes to sun protection, IMAGE MD® restoring lip enhancer SPF 15 offers sun protection with the benefits of nourishing avocado oil, a peptide complex and marine collagen filling spheres to boost the appearance of dry, thin lips.
ESTHETICIAN’S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A SAFE, SUN-KISSED GLOW
We believe that skincare and makeup can coexist harmoniously. While mixing sunscreen with foundation can offer convenience, we recommend products that combine both, so you can achieve that sun-kissed glow in the safest way possible. Here are 4 tips to keep you glowing and protected when opting for a safe, lightly bronzed look:
- Instead of mixing sunscreen with foundation, use a primer that contains SPF, such as our PREVENTION+ daily perfecting primer SPF 50. This mineral SPF 50 formula works as a moisturizer with the benefits of a primer—creating a protective barrier between your skin and makeup while ensuring consistent sun protection. Much more than a standard primer, it smoothes the skin’s surface and blurs the appearance of wrinkles, uneven skin texture, and pores.
- Use a mineral foundation with SPF, such as the I CONCEAL Flawless Foundation. This full-coverage mineral foundation blends seamlessly into the skin, offering beautiful mineral pigments for a customizable finish. Infused with SPF 30, it leverages zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to protect skin while camouflaging imperfections.
- Use setting powder with SPF. This is especially valuable for those with oily skin. Mineral setting powder can offer an additional layer of sun protection while minimizing shine.
- Layer properly. If you prefer to stick with your existing foundation, apply sunscreen as a separate step before your makeup. This layering technique ensures your skin receives the full benefits of sun protection.
- Gently exfoliate your skin to remove dead cells, allowing your sun-kissed glow to appear more even and last longer when using tinted moisturizers with SPF.
When pursuing your healthiest skin, it's essential to strike a balance between makeup application and sun protection. While mixing sunscreen with foundation can offer some benefits, it's crucial to consider the potential drawbacks and prioritize your skin's well-being. At IMAGE, we advocate for smart skincare choices that enhance your natural radiance while safeguarding your skin from the sun's harmful effects. As you embark on your skincare journey, remember that a well-informed approach will always yield the best results.