All About Retinol
Anyone who’s interested in anti-aging products for their skin has heard of retinol. But what is it? What does it actually do? And what are the best strategies for using it to perk up our skin? We’ll get to all that and more in this concise but info-packed guide to everything retinol-related!
What Is Retinol?
Retinol is the technical name for a vitamin in the vitamin A “family.” Retinol supplements can be used to combat vitamin A deficiency. But there’s another important use for retinol: topical use on your skin! Vitamin A is important for the development of healthy skin and using topical retinoids (the larger family of chemicals which includes retinol) is a great way to dial back signs of aging.
It’s almost impossible to overstate how beneficial retinol is for skin. Its tiny molecular size makes it perfect for topical application, because it’s able to penetrate deep into your skin to work its magic. Here are just a few of the benefits you can expect from retinol treatments:
- • Increases the visual tautness and firmness of your skin
- • Reduces or erases fine lines and small wrinkles
- • Evens out skin tone
- • Smooths and enhances the surface of your skin, refining pores
- • Improves skin elasticity
- • Invigorates skin by improving cell function and generation
- • Exfoliates and clears pores
- • Can help combat acne
Retinol Product Tips
While retinol has some astonishing benefits, there are some drawbacks to its use. However, these drawbacks and negative side effects can be avoided with care.
• Start your retinol routine gradually, with application every other day. If your skin still shows signs of irritation, consider diluting the product with a moisturizer like IMAGE’s ORMEDIC balancing bio-peptide crème.
• Stick to gentle products and skincare routines while adjusting to retinol application. Microdermabrasion and harsh soaps are out. Gentle moisturizers and cleansers are in. Try the MAX stem cell facial cleanser—it’s free of acids, sulfates and parabens and contains nourishing plant stem cells.
• Up your SPF game. More cellular turnover means revitalized skin… but it also means you’re more vulnerable to the sun’s harmful UV rays. Pamper your skin while you protect it with our PREVENTION+ daily ultimate protection moisturizer.
• Don’t forget that there are other vitamins that help your skin! Choose a combination product that does more than just slather your skin with vitamin A. Our VITAL C hydrating A C E serum is an advanced, balanced blend of vitamins A, C and E to nourish your skin.
Retinol is a great asset in your skin’s fight against aging, and when it’s used correctly and carefully, the benefits can be seen in a matter of days or weeks!